Richmond Bed and Breakfast Inns
|Results 1 - 3 of 3|
Grace Manor Inn (Richmond, Virginia)
Grace Manor Inn - A Bed and Breakfast in Richmond, VirginiaClick "Book Now" to reserve Grace Manor Inn - a bed & breakfast in Richmond, Virginia.... [more]
Maury Place (Richmond, Virginia)
Maury Place - A Bed and Breakfast in Richmond, VirginiaClick "Book Now" to reserve Maury Place - a bed & breakfast in Richmond, Virginia.... [more]
William Miller House Bed and Breakfast (Richmond, Virginia)
William Miller House Bed and Breakfast - A Bed and Breakfast in Richmond, VirginiaClick "Book Now" to reserve William Miller House Bed and Breakfast - a bed & breakfast in Richmond, Virginia.... [more]
|Results 1 - 3 of 3|
If you know of a Bed and Breakfast in this area and would like to suggest their name to us, please contact us.
Return to search page
Travel Bytes(Travel Bytes are local area descriptions provided by people who live in the area or have travelled through it. These comments are provided as is so please excuse the odd spelling or gramatical error.
Feel like adding your 2 cents? Click here to edit or add to the comments below. )
Captain Christopher Newport first led English explorers in 1607 to the site they later named Richmond after a suburb of London, England. Until that time, Indian tribes of the Powhatan Confederacy had inhabited the area.
After two unsuccessful attempts to settle this naturally advantaged location for transportation and trade, settlers enjoyed a change of luck. By 1644, the construction of Fort Charles began attracting many new settlers. Soon, the community grew into a popular trading post for furs, hides and tobacco.
Richmond was founded in 1737 by Colonel William Byrd II. He inherited the former Stegg lands on both sides of the James River from his father and became known himself as the Father of Richmond. He visited here in 1733 and planned to build a city. Four years later, his friend William Mayo made a map of Richmond and the first lots were sold.
There were only 250 people living in Richmond when it became a town in 1742. In early 1780, the State Capitol was temporarily moved to Richmond from Williamsburg at the request of the General Assembly, which wanted a central location that was less exposed to British incursions. In May of 1782, eight months after the British surrendered at Yorktown, Richmond was incorporated as a city and officially became Virginias new capital.
At the outbreak of the Civil War in 1861, the importance of the facilities at Tredegar Iron Works was one of the most compelling reasons for making Richmond the Capital of the Confederacy. From this arsenal came the 723 tons of armor plating that covered the CSS Virginia the worlds first ironclad used in war and much of the Rebels heavy ordnance machinery. (Today, the Tredegar Iron Works serves as the main visitor center for the Richmond National Battlefield Park. It includes three floors of exhibits with unique artifacts depicting the effects of the war on Richmond.)
In 1862, Jefferson Davis was inaugurated as President of the Confederate States of America. One month later Davis placed Richmond under martial law. The Seven Days Battle followed in June.
1863 marked the year General Thomas J. Stonewall Jacksons body was laid in the State Capitol and President Lincoln delivered the Gettysburg Address.
Two years later, on Evacuation Sunday (1865), large parts of Richmond were destroyed in a fire set by retreating Confederate soldiers. Over the next two weeks, President Lincoln visited Richmond and Lee surrendered to Grant at Appomattox Court House, about 95 miles away.
Today, completion of a floodwall opened the doors for the development of the Richmond Riverfront, stretching along the James River from the historic Tredegar Iron Works site, just west of 7th Street, to 17th Street in downtown Richmond. Renovations include the rebuilt James River and Kanawha Canal and Haxall Canal, designed by George Washington. Once a booming industrial center during the Civil War, the Richmond Riverfront project has brought this 1.25-mile corridor back to life. Trendy loft apartments, restaurants, shops and hotels now wind along the Canal Walk, along with canal boat cruises and walking tours. Housed in Tredegar Iron Works, the National Park Services Richmond Civil War Visitor Center offers three floors of exhibits and artifacts, films, a bookstore, picnic areas and more.
The new, expanded Greater Richmond Convention Center is open for business. Boasting more than 600,000 square feet, this sprawling convention center, located in the heart of downtown Richmond, is the largest of its kind in the state and beyond.
Here are some sites to see...
This brick tower was built in 1824 to replace a wooden one on this site. It rang in legislative sessions and warned of fires, raids and other dangers. It is now a state visitors' center.
One-of-a-kind pedestrian suspension bridge starts under the Lee Bridge on Tredegar Street. The one-mile trail around the edge of the 54-acre island includes a walk along the falls of the James and Civil War earthworks. For more information, call 804-780-5311.
Canal Boat Tours
Enjoy a canal boat tour with Richmond Canal Cruises. Dates and times are seasonal and weather permitting, so please call (804) 649-2800 to verify current hours of operation.
Adjacent to north bank of James River from Tredegar Iron Works at Fifth Street to 17th Street, with pedestrian entrances to the walk at Tredegar Iron Works, Seventh, 12th, 14th, 17th and Virginia Streets (accessible to people with handicaps). Markers note people and events associated with the area's history. Restoration of the Haxall and Kanawha Canals and construction of the Canal Walk provide opportunities for waterfront strolling, canal boat rides and venues for outdoor concerts and special events. For more information, call 804-648-6549.
Capitol Square and Virginia State Capitol
Located at Ninth and Grace Streets, The Virginia State Capitol is the first public building of neo-classical style in the United States designed by Thomas Jefferson and is where Virginia's General Assembly meets. Free-guided tours are available.
Capitol Square features several monuments: Jean Antoine Houdon's life sized statue of George Washington - the only statue in existence for which Washington posed - in the Capitol Rotunda, as well as busts of other Virginia-born presidents. The statue in Capitol Square depicts Washington on horseback.
America's oldest, continuously occupied governor's residence, this National Historic Landmark displays silver, china, carpets and furnishings donated by the citizens of Virginia. Both the bodies of Stonewall Jackson and Arthur Ashe, Jr. laid in state at the mansion. For more information, call 804-371-2642.
This strip of cafes, record shops, wine shops, bookstores, shoe stores and more, is a local favorite for window shopping or buying whatever grabs you; from kitchen gadgets to kids books. To most locals, the Byrd Theatre is Carytowns beloved anchor. A stunning work of gilded architecture, this renovated movie house features big-screen flicks for under two bucks. After the movie lets out, follow the crowd to the ice cream parlor or yogurt shop across the street. If youre visiting in the spring, catch Virginia Commonwealth Universitys annual French Film Festival at the Byrd Theatre and come face to face with the hottest French actors and directors of our time.
So many places in one. It's hard to know where to begin ...
A first visit to Maymont is best started at the new Robins Nature & Visitor CenterMaymont's front door-but a history lover will soon find a path to the 1893 Maymont House. A plant lover will find the elaborate Japanese and Italian gardens. For animal lovers there are the Nature Center, Wildlife Exhibits and the Children's Farm. Seekers of solitude will select the perfect spot under a stately elm or beside a babbling brook.
Hours are Tuesday - Sunday, 12 - 5pm.
$4 per person suggested donation.
The Jefferson Hotel
Located at 100 W. Franklin Street, the Jefferson is Richmond's only five star hotel. Originally built in 1895, this grand Richmond hotel was damaged severely by fire in 1901 and reopened only months later. Edward Valentine's statue of Thomas Jefferson stands in the upper lobby over a pool that once was the home of live alligators. A staircase offers a first-class view of the opulent lower lobby. For more information, call 804-788-8000.
Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden
Located at 1800 Lakeside Avenue, the Garden was founded in 1984 and covers over 25 acres. This non-profit organization focuses on education, horticultural display and botanical research. For more information, call 804-262-9887.
Called one of the most beautiful streets in America, and the only avenue in the United States named a National Historic Marker, Richmonds Monument Avenue is a manifestation of a post Civil War glorification of The Lost Cause.
Begun in 1890 with the dedication of the Lee Monument, Confederate monument erection on the avenue ended with the dedication of the Maury Monument in 1929. After that, periodic attempts to add memorials to the avenue were not successful until July 1995, when Richmond City Council voted in favor of memorializing Arthur Ashe on Monument and Roseneath Avenues.
Along Monument Avenue, grand homes and apartment buildings date primarily from the first two decades of the 20th century. The avenue continues seven miles to Horsepen Road in Henrico County, but the statues occupy only the eastern-most mile beginning at Lombardy Street. (Franklin Street becomes Monument Avenue at Lombardy.) The statues, listed west to east:
Arthur Ashe, Jr.: The newest addition to Monument Avenue is the statue of tennis legend Arthur Ashe, Jr., who was the first African American male to win Wimbledon. Ashes monument shows his dedication to education, depicting him surrounded by children, holding books and his tennis racket overhead.
Matthew Maury: Scientist/oceanographer Matthew Fontaine Maury invented the electric torpedo by experimenting with exploding powder charges in his bathtub. He is known as the father of oceanography.
General Thomas J. (Stonewall) Jackson: Given the nickname Stonewall at the first battle of Manassas, Jackson died as a result of friendly fire at the Battle of Chancellorsville.
Jefferson Davis: Richmond sculptor E.V. Valentine created the tribute to Confederate President Jefferson Davis. The 13 Doric columns in the sculpture represent 11 states that seceded and two that sent delegates to the Confederate Congress.
Robert E. Lee: The monument to Robert E. Lee is one of Americas grandest equestrian statues. The 14-foot Lee sits atop his trusted horse, Traveller and was the first monument to be dedicated along the Avenue (1890).
St. John's Church
Located at 2401 East Broad Street, this church is one of the oldest wooden buildings standing in Virginia and the oldest church in Richmond. It is the site of Patrick Henry's Give me Liberty or Give me Death speech. The exact dates and times of reenactments of Patrick Henry's famous speech can be obtained by calling St. John's Church at 804-648-5015.
The recent completion of a multi-million dollar floodwall has spurred dramatic redevelopment of downtown Richmonds Shockoe Bottom. Now one of Richmonds hottest night spots, Shockoe Bottom features some of the areas most sought-after restaurants and nightclubs. The neighborhoods most spectacular and most recognizable landmark is Main Street Station. Towering above colorful warehouses and 300-year-old Farmers Market, Main Street Station was once the first sight rail travelers saw upon entering Richmond. Today it is still one of the citys most impressive sights and plans for the future include reviving rail travel to the station. The 17th Street Farmers Market is perhaps the oldest in the country. Stop by the market in the summertime for huge ripe watermelons and beefy Hanover tomatoes. During the autumn, shoppers will find rows of multi-colored gourds, jack-o-lantern-perfect pumpkins and festive Indian corn. On Sundays in the Spring, the Shockoe Flea Market features an array of vendors selling vintage items, antiques and collectibles.
Now one of downtown Richmonds most fashionable shopping and entertainment areas, Shockoe Slip is the citys oldest mercantile district. Called the slip because of its proximity to the once-bustling Great Turning Basin on the James River canal system, this area had been the site of warehouse and tobacco manufacturing since the 17th century. Burned to the ground in the Great Evacuation Fire April 2-3, 1865, Shockoe rebuilt rapidly. Most of the 19th-century structures now house trendy, new high-end loft apartments, shops and restaurants, including the world-famous Tobacco Company Restaurant.
Marblehead, Massachusetts, United States
|Handsome 1850 home in the historic district overlooks Marblehead Harbor. Enjoy water views from the fireplaced parlor, the period dining room, and from the summer breakfast porch. Home-baked breads... [more]|